Thursday, September 4, 2014

"You Christians Are Nothing But Hypocrites!"



     A couple of years ago I wrote two articles based upon a poll question found on the Cincinnati Enquirers website. The question was, “Should Ohio legalize same-sex marriage?” A common theme in the “Comments” section of that poll question was that those claiming to love Jesus Christ who voted “no” were hypocrites because everyone knows Jesus was all about love and it is hateful to stand against any group of people seeking happiness. Recently in a discussion forum I was attempting to reach a man who at one time claimed to be a Christian but no longer made such a claim. Ignoring essentially every verse I used, he chose to end the discussion abruptly with this parting shot: “You Christians are nothing but hypocrites and I won’t have anything to do with you.” I have even heard similar statements from those who have truly been washed with the precious blood of Jesus Christ.  
     This is a favorite statement for Christians who want to drift back into the world or for those who don’t want to obey to begin with. Somehow seeking to justify their actions, they begin to point the finger at the supposed hypocrisy of Christians. I have even heard preachers from the pulpit bemoan the hypocrisy “prevalent” within the church today. Mr. Webster sets forth this as his first definition of a hypocrite: “A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.” 
     The church our Lord died to establish is not full of hypocrites and to say otherwise is untrue. What it is full of are imperfect people who are striving for perfection, but aren’t there yet. “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:45). The Christian must make it his goal to be like the Father. If he refuses to make this his goal then he yields the right to be called one of God’s children. The effort must exist and the Father has promised to aid us. However, I would be lying to you if I were to claim that I have reached this goal and no longer have to worry about stumbling or missing the mark in my life. Never forget that John is writing to Christians when he said, “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (1 John 1:8). A Christian is not a sinner in the sense that he or she lives a life characterized by sin. However, there will be times when a Christian breaks Christ’s law and sins (1 John 3:4). This makes us imperfect, not hypocritical!
     Now, I imagine that hypocrites probably do exist within the church today. There probably are some who pretend to be righteous and holy who do not really possess those traits but are merely fooling their brethren. However, I am not so cynical, or dishonest, to claim that the church is full of such people. My brethren are like me. I don’t always live up to the standard that I claim, but I am not a hypocrite! I will deny this charge with every breath! I am trying to be pleasing to the Lord and I know that the vast majority of my brethren are doing the same. My brethren and I are imperfect, not hypocritical. 
     Now, let us suppose for the sake of argument that this charge were true. What of it? How does another person’s hypocrisy change my responsibility to God? If every Christian in this world was a Christian in name only and putting forth no effort to really be what he or she claims, what does that have to do with me? Am I released from my obligation to God? Does their hypocrisy somehow excuse my own duty to God? Can any thinking person believe it? The truth of the matter is that this is a deceptive and dishonest charge born from a misguided, desperate, and unholy attempt to justify one’s own sinful actions. It is a dishonest straw man argument that misses the real issue by miles: the sickness of my own soul and my unwillingness to obey the Lord. 
     Only one child of God ever achieved sinless perfection and that was Jesus Christ Himself. Has every other child of God who has ever sinned been nothing more than a hypocrite? No. Shame on those who say that they were.            

No comments:

Post a Comment