Monday, June 2, 2014

Observing An Elderly Sister


     At a gospel meeting several years ago I and a member of the congregation stopped by to visit an elderly sister confined to her home. She was sitting on the couch with her left leg propped up on some pillows next to her. A recent surgery had left behind a wound that was not healing the way it should. She was experiencing a great deal of pain and her doctor was at a loss for why it would not heal.  
     Even before the wound on her leg she was not able to get around very well. Having been an elementary schoolteacher until her retirement, she had spent a great deal of her life chasing small children here, there, and yonder. Years of carrying them, playing with them, and holding them had stooped her frame dramatically. She could no longer walk on her own but required the aid of a walker to get around. A simple journey from the couch to the kitchen was very difficult for her. When I met her most of her days were filled with nurses visiting the home, medicines being taken, waiting for brethren to stop by to run errands she could no longer run for herself, and hours sitting upon that couch talking to her husband who was confined to a chair pressed up against her couch.
     She and her husband had twins about sixty years ago who did not survive their first year of life. They were never able to have children after that. She did have some family living in the region but they only called on their aging relatives rarely and never without requesting money from them. For all intents and purposes the only family they had were the members of the church.
     As I sat there observing this elderly sister I found myself thinking that this must be an absolutely depressing way to have to live. Surely she must be bitter and frustrated having to spend her final years like this. Then I noticed the open Bible lying on the floor within easy reach from her seat on the couch. I noticed a pen and a highlighting marker sitting on the open pages. Then it occurred to me that she had not told me any of the things I have described thus far. All of this information was given me by the brother who had brought me there. She never mentioned her pain, her inability to get around, lingering heartache over the loss of the twins, or her absentee family members. In fact, she never complained a single time while we were there.
     It was then I noticed how colorful the pages of her Bible were. There were notes and highlighted passages all over the place. When I mentioned this to her she slowly bent down and picked up that Bible. She put it in her lap and smiled down at the pages. I was struck as I realized that this was not just a book to her, this was her dearest and closest friend. Her own language was saturated with the language of Scripture. Rarely have I met a Christian who could so seamlessly weave the words of Jesus Christ and His inspired writers into nearly every sentence. Rarely have I seen a Christian for whom the Holy Writ was so dynamically alive!  Her eyes lit up as we began to talk about God and His Word. More than knowing the Book, she loved it. More than knowing about the Book, she lived it. I realized then that her days were not spent in idleness; they were spent in near constant study and Bible discussion with the man who had been by her side ever step of the way. Incidentally, I never really met her husband as he slept soundly in his chair after our first few minutes in the house. The years had caught up to him, too. However, I could not fail to notice his own worn Bible on the end table next to his chair.
     Worn Bibles. That’s what those two elderly soldiers of the cross owned. Her Bible was taped and several pages were now sitting loose having pulled free from the binding. This aging saint was riddled with pain and abandoned by family. Yet the Lord still stood by her and strengthened her. She knew it and it preserved her. What joy she possessed! As we left I was reminded of a centuries old observation: Bibles that are falling apart usually belong to people who aren’t. How true in the case of this beautiful elderly sister!                

No comments:

Post a Comment