Monday, May 26, 2014

Finding The Source Of The Problem


     A few weeks ago I found a small puddle of water on the tiles at the base of our steps in the basement. I thought that one of the boys had spilled his drink so I just ran a towel over it and didn’t give it another thought. Two hours later I passed by the same area to find a much larger puddle of water. I knew there was a problem because the boys had not been back through there in that time and Jackie usually cleans up her spills (kidding!).
     The next hour saw me checking everywhere to find the source of the leak. After pulling up tiles, checking the base of toilets, checking both showers, and checking all the sink pipes, we were able to find that it was a draining issue with the condensation from the air conditioner. Fortunately, it was a very easy fix thanks to a very handy and helpful brother in Christ.  However, without finding the source of that water the problem could never have been remedied.
     The same holds true in our spiritual lives. When a person begins to forsake the assembly, or becomes cold and distant with their brethren, or begins only halfheartedly participating in the worship, or stops praying, or stops contacting the sick, then they are displaying symptoms of spiritual sickness. It doesn’t do much good to work on the symptoms while ignoring the source of the problem. 
     To the church at Ephesus our Lord said, “But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first…” (Revelation 2:4-5a). To the church at Sardis He said, “I know your works.  You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God” (Revelation 3:1-2). To the church at Laodicea Jesus said, “I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich…” (Revelation 3:15-18a).
     In each case Jesus pointed to the symptoms to show that a deeper problem existed. The church at Ephesus had left her first love, but how and why had she done that? The brethren in Sardis thought they were a living, active church but Jesus said that they were really dead. How and why had that become the case? The saints in Laodicea thought they were rich and in need of nothing. Jesus said that they were really wretched and poor. How and why were they so wrong in their estimation of themselves?
     Interestingly, Jesus did not really come right out and say, did He? He pointed them to the symptoms that proved the existence of spiritual sickness. He required them to thoroughly search their souls, find the source of their spiritual problems, and fix them through repentance. He requires the same of us. Do we see symptoms of spiritual sickness in our lives (forsaking the assembly, lack of prayer, half hearted participation in worship, coolness to our brethren, very little Bible study, absence of evangelistic effort, etc.)? Let us find the source of the problem and appeal to the Great Physician through humble repentance to be cured.           

No comments:

Post a Comment